There have been a few questions this week about what drinks are allowed in school. All state schools in Wales have to follow government guidelines.
Children are only allowed water in class. The government guidance states that water:
- Quenches thirst and does not damage teeth.
- Promotes hydration and has no calories.
- Can help to prevent a range of short- and long-term health problems such as headaches, bladder and bowel problems.
- However, water containing sweeteners, sugars, honey, colouring or flavouring is not permitted during class time.
- These drinks and fruit juices are allowed though with a child’s packed lunch. This is not a school rule, rather government guidance for all state schools in Wales.